In 1930, the department of Arts in Bakht Alruda Teachers Institute had been chosen to qualify teachers of Art to teach in different school levels, in 1946, this department became the School of Design in Gordon Memorial College (University of Khartoum now) to teach theoretical and applied Arts in Carpentry, Architecture, Painting, Geometry and Design. In 1951, the School of Design became High department of Arts in Khartoum Technical Institute (KTI), when KTI became the Technical Colleges Institute, the high department of Art became the School of Fine and Applied Arts. Later on, KTI become Sudan University of Science and Technology (SUST).
The College of Fine and Applied Art adopts the British model in Arts represented in the renowned college such as Royal College of Arts (London), The Central School of Art and Design (London), and The Slade School of Fine Art - University College London. The College has a unique position among its Arab and African counterparts due to good academic planning which come out as a result of the recurrent visits of British College’s deans and teachers who has been working as members of the evaluation committees and external examiners from 1963 to 1977, where all the visitors highly appreciated the standards of students and the academic planning. Those visits included the following
- The committee of Sir Robert Vere Darwin, the rector of the Royal College of Arts in London with Mr. Michael Patrick and Mr. Patrick George, dean of The Slade College of Arts, as members of the committee.
- In 1969, the visit of Robert Godon – external examiner.
- In 1970, the visit of Prof. Ritchard Gayat – external examiner.
- In 1973, the visit of Mr. Green Lou (the first dean of the college of Fine and Applied Arts)
- In 1977 The visit of Prof. Tlurtada Tlumayaz - external examiner.
Finally, with the efforts of the successive generation of graduates, teachers and artists, the college has become one of the acquisitions of the Arabic, Islamic and African contemporary culture. Now Its the only educational institution that graduate capable students in Arts and Design and that help deepen Fine Arts in the Sudanese society and take part in the regional and international Artistic movement.